random thoughts

Thursday, October 15, 2009

maja blanca

Maja blanca or maja maiz...yum!

An office mate bought some maja blanca to share and memories of my childhood flashed back. My parents love corn--from japanese sweet corn to the usual corn bought in the market. Whenever we go out of town, we would make it a point to drop by at the side of the road to buy from those manangs/manongs who sell corn to provincial buses and tourists. Sometimes we would buy a sack of fresh corn and boil them at home, to have them readily available at hand.

Anyway, back to the maja story...hehehe :) So, since my officemate brought that maja blanca, I decided to surf the net for recipes. I found one from Tita Connie Veneracion's blog : www.pinoycook.netThe following recipe is lifted from her blog : http://pinoycook.net/maja-maiz/

Ingredients :

1 c. of cornstarch
1 250 ml. brick of sweetened condensed milk
1 c. of coconut milk
1 c. of water
a pinch of salt
1 425 g. can of cream-style corn
1/2 tsp. of butter, softened

How to :

Grease the bottom and sides of a 6″ x 10″ ceramic baking dish with the softened butter.Disperse the cornstarch in the water until completely dissolved. Add the coconut milk, salt and cream-style corn. Set over medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until thick and no longer cloudy. Remove from the heat and add the sweetened condensed milk. Return to the stove top and cook over low heat, stirring until the milk is fully incorporated into the cornstarch mixture. Pour into the buttered dish and leave to cool for about 30 minutes before cutting and serving.

After office, I immediately went to Hypermart Buendia to buy the ingredients needed. When I got home, I asked hubby if he wants some dessert for our dinner, coz I plan to prepare something(the maja!hehehe). So, he agreed and said, he'll eat anything, so I immediately prepared the maja. Instead of using water, I opted to use milk instead. After painstakingly adding one ingredient after another, I realized I don't have condensed milk...hahahaha...Should I just add more sugar, coz I have evaporated milk?Would that suffice for the needed condensed milk in the recipe?

So, with the lack of the needed condensed milk, I decided to just forego the maja maiz/blanca experience for the weekend :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home